Frequently Asked Questions

How can languages work for me?

Remember that languages are not solely a requirement—they represent an opportunity for you to further your academic career and contribute to your long-term success.  If you are fluent in a language other than English, contact our department to see if we can help you earn credit by exam that may count toward your graduation and also allow you to enroll in exciting advanced courses.  If English is a second language for you, contact Ms. Caitlin Saraphis ( in CASA so that she can help document your language to fulfill the language requirement.

Which Languages do I Have the Opportunity to Study?

The Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures offers you the opportunity to study the following languages: American Sign Language, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Spanish. We offer language programs in all the languages previously mentioned as well as majors and minors in many of these areas.  Consider our exciting new concentration within the BA in LLC: Global Languages and Communities.

Students who wish to complete their Foreign Language requirement in the Department of LLC, may do so by taking courses at the elementary level (101-102) and intermediate level (203-204) in the language of their choice (American Sign Language, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish).

We also offer you the opportunity to expand your knowledge of these languages, literary traditions, and cultures by completing a variety of courses beyond the language programs, including the opportunity to study abroad. Please consult our webpage for further information.

Who Should Take the Language Placement Test?

Students with one or more years of high school ASL, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, or Russian who wish to continue the study of that same language MUST take the Language Placement Test.

Incoming transfer students returning to the study of French, German, Russian or Spanish, begun in high school but not previously pursued at the college level, must also take the test.

Transfer students with Foreign Language credit are encouraged to take the placement test to determine their best starting point.

Heritage speakers with a limited knowledge of the language should take the placement test and seek further assessment in the Department of LLC upon completion of the test.

Students majoring in the College of Arts and Sciences who are native speakers of one of the nine languages taught in UNCG’s Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (ASL, Mandarin Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Russian, or Spanish) may have the College “Additional Language” requirement waived by demonstrating their (minimum) intermediate-level proficiency in the language via a placement test and/or an interview administered by the department.  (Note: LLC will forward confirmation of this proficiency to the Registrar’s Office for further processing).

Students who are native speakers of a non-English language that is not offered at UNCG and who seek a waiver of the language requirement should consult the ESL/FL Proficient Students website for details on the waiver process or contact the College of Arts and Sciences Advising (CASA) Office.

Heritage speakers of Spanish who wish to study Spanish at UNCG should contact Dr. Kelly Lowther-Pereira ( in the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures for an assessment of their level and information on opportunities to develop their interests.

For further information about LLC, the nine languages that we offer, and our major concentration in Global Languages and Communities, please see the LLC website or email

Does my program require the study of a Foreign Language?

College of Arts and Sciences

Complete intermediate–level proficiency in a Foreign Language, the equivalent of completing courses through the 204 level.

For other Colleges and Schools, consult with your advisors.

What is the Language Placement Test?

The Language Placement Test is a tool to assess students’ language skills so they begin language study at the appropriate college level. It takes approximately 30 minutes.  Students will not receive course credit if they register in a course BELOW their placement score.  If students feel that the test did not accurately reflect their knowledge, they must meet with a language advisor to determine appropriate placement.

How long is the test valid?

Placement Test scores are valid for one year after the test is taken

How many times can it be taken?

The test can only be taken once per year. Once a student begins the lower-level sequence (101-204/241) at UNCG, the Placement Test cannot be (re)taken in order to place out of any remaining courses in the sequence.

When is the test available?

The test is administered at SOAR orientation sessions during the summer and before the beginning of each semester and may also be taken during the year on an individual basis, by appointment, in the Department of LLC.

What if placement is needed in languages other than French, German, Russian, or Spanish?

Students with one or more years of high school Chinese, Japanese, or previous knowledge of the language, must contact the course instructor to arrange for an interview before registering for courses in these languages.

What if I place into the Interview Stage level and wish to continue study of the language?

A student who scores at the Interview Stage level and is planning to continue at the 300 level must consult the Director of Undergraduate Study for French, German, Russian, or Spanish (or another designated faculty member) before registering for other courses in the language. The advisor will interview the student in order to determine his or her placement at the 300 level or recommend courses at the intermediate level to reinforce the student’s background in the language.

What if I score at the Interview Stage level on my Placement Test and do not wish to continue study of the language?

All students who place at the interview stage level must schedule an appointment to be interviewed by a faculty member in the language in order to certify that they have met the 204-level proficiency, and thus met the College language requirement. If a student who scores at the Interview Stage level on the placement test and successfully completes an interview at the 204 language level does not plan to continue language study, the Department of LLC will confirm the student’s Placement Test scores with the University Registrar’s Office and the student will be considered to have met the Foreign Language requirement. Satisfaction of the College language requirement can only be certified by passing the interview. It is, however, the student’s responsibility to make sure that his/her transcripts reflect this fact. Please keep in mind that students will not get any credit hours when they place out of the 100 and 200 level language courses through the placement exam.

Students should call the department at 336-334-5655 to schedule their appointment.

For students who may need additional support in order to complete their Foreign Language requirement:

The Modified Foreign Language Program in French and Spanish: Students with challenges that affect language acquisition may qualify for this program. Registration in the program requires written permission.

Other available services to our students

Free language tutoring in French, German, and Spanish is provided by the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures. Sign-up sheets are posted on the door of MHRA 2317 shortly after the beginning of each semester. Tutoring is on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Language tutoring is additionally offered through Student Support Services (SSS) and the Tutoring and Academic Support Programs (TASP).

Students who wish to reinforce their language skills are encouraged to participate in a variety of cultural events to enhance their knowledge of the language and culture. The Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures offers Café Causette & La Table Française (FRE), Kaffeestunde (GER), J Club (JNS), Russian Language Society (RUS), and Café Ole (SPA) which all provide regular conversation practice for students studying those languages.

We offer several summer study abroad programs including ones in Costa Rica and Madrid.

Contact Information: Students in need of additional advising or with concerns regarding their Placement Test results are asked to make an appointment with a designated faculty member. Please contact us at or call 334-5655.