Spanish Graduate Programs
The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Advanced Spanish Language and Hispanic Cultural Studies requires 15 semester hours and is designed for professionals who may have a bachelor ’s degree in a field other than Spanish but who are able to demonstrate linguistic and analytical skills in Spanish equivalent to having completed a minimum of 21 undergraduate semester hours above the 204 level.
The goals of this program are
- to increase student’s language skills in Spanish to a high level
- to prepare qualified candidates for cross-cultural professions
- to help prepare instructors who must have at least 18 hours of graduate credit in order to teach Spanish at an accredited community college, four- year college or university. Students may choose to continue with an additional 3-hour course or apply for admission as MA candidates.
Application and Admission
In addition to the application materials required by The Graduate School, applicants to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Advanced Spanish Language and Hispanic Cultural Studies must provide the following:
- 500-word essay in Spanish describing their profes- sional goals and motivation for pursuing graduate work in the certificate.
- 3- to 5-minute unscripted tape, audio CD (in stan- dard format), or digital audio file in Spanish to introduce themselves and describe their academic or equivalent preparation to pursue advanced profi- ciency in Spanish.
- 5- to 10-page sample of professional or academic analytical writing in English or Spanish.
Applicants to the certificate program are expected to demonstrate at a minimum an “intermediate high” proficiency in Spanish by appropriate course work, by a personal interview with the faculty, or by an officially recognized testing procedure such as that of the Ameri- can Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
Certificate Requirements Selection of Courses
Fifteen hours are selected from the following:
SPA 516 Introduction to Spanish Syntax (3)
SPA 532 Spanish Culture and Civilization (3)
SPA 534 Spanish American Culture and Civilization (3)
SPA 535 U.S. Latino/-a Cultural Studies (3)
SPA 562 Studies in Film Genre
SPA 605 Seminar in Hispanic Linguistics (3) (may be repeated for credit when topic varies)
SPA 610 History of the Spanish Language (3)
*SPA 693 Special Topics in Spanish Language and/or Literature: Advanced Grammar Review (3)
*SPA 693 Special Topics in Spanish Language and/or Literature: Advanced Phonetics (3)
SPA 695 Directed Study (3)
SPA 697 Internship in Spanish (3)
**ROM 600 Methods of Teaching Romance Languages (3)
*Not accepted for transfer to the MA in Romance Languages with a concentration in Spanish or the MEd in Romance Languages with a concentration in Spanish
**Required for students who enroll in the certificate as a credential for college-level teaching
Upon completion of the certificate, the graduate faculty will conduct an interview in Spanish with the student.