Spanish Graduate Programs
How to Apply
The candidate must submit to The Graduate School the following:
- a completed application form (available online),
- a non-refundable application fee,
- two official transcripts of academic records from every college and university previously attended,
- qualifying examination scores: GRE or MAT (recommended but not required), and
- three recommendations from former professors, employers, or persons well-acquainted with the student’s academic potential.
All credentials must be in English. The Graduate Program in Spanish has additional requirements:
Writing Samples. The candidate must submit to the Director of Graduate Studies the following:
- a 500-word Statement of Purpose in Spanish, highlighting prior experiences and explaining reasons for applying and expectations for the program, and
- an analytical paper in Spanish or English, preferably, written for a prior course in the Humanities.
Interview or Oral Sample.The candidate must contact the Director of Graduate Studies to schedule a face to face or online interview. This meeting needs to be scheduled at least a week before the deadline (if applying in the Spring). Alternatively, the candidate can submit a 3 to 5 minute unscripted standard audio digital format demonstrating speaking ability in Spanish. The sample should discuss a topic related to the program of study as well as experiences and motivation and can be emailed to the Director of Graduate Studies in Spanish. The rest of the documents should be submitted directly to the Graduate School.
Deadlines. The application will be reviewed by the graduate faculty in Spanish as soon as all materials have been received. All application materials should be received by February 15 from students who wish to be considered for financial assistance for the following academic year. The Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures has rolling admission, but due to processing requirements, The Graduate School cannot guarantee an admission decision for Fall Semester unless all credentials are received before May 15, for Spring Semester by October 1, and for Summer Session by February 1.
Guide to Graduate Admissions https://grs.uncg.edu/guide/