Emeritus Professor of Spanish
B.A., University of Maryland
M.A., University of California at Berkeley
Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley
Research/ Teaching Interests
- Modern Latin American Literature
- Poetry, Literary Translation, Theatre
- Creative Writing: Poetry
Selected Professional Achievements
- Editor, International Poetry Review, 1993-2014: IPR Webpage/Subscription Page
- Head, Department of Romance Languages, 1986-1994
- UNCG Senior Alumni Teaching Excellence Award, 1997-98
- Director, UNCG Center for Creative Writing in the Arts, 2006-2011
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Poetry, 2005
Awards, Grants, Special Appointments
- Head, Department of Romance Languages, (1986-1994)
- Editor/Associate Editor, International Poetry Review, (1992 – present)
- UNCG Senior Alumni Teaching Excellence Award, (1997-1998)
- Director, UNCG Center for Creative Writing in the Arts, (2006 – present)
Employment at UNCG
- Professor (1987 – 2014)
- Head, Department of Romance Languages (1986-1994)
- Associate Professor (1984-1986)
- Assistant Professor (1976-1984)
- Instructor (1975-1976)
Courses Taught (Selective List)
- Introductory Spanish
- Intermediate Spanish
- Spanish Conversation
- Advanced Spanish
- Spanish Composition and Advanced Grammar
- Introduction to Spanish Literature
- Modern and Contemporary Literature of Spanish America
- Seminars on Modernismo, Alfonsina Storni, Borges
- Poder, Política y Amor-Seis Voces
- Freshman Seminar (“Violence in Literature”)
- Residential College: Creative Writing, Poetry
- Poetry Writing Workshops (for the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies)
- 19th and 20th Century Literature of Spanish America
- Translation theory and practice
- José Asunción Silva: contexto y estructura de su obra. [José Asunción Silva: Context and Structure of His Work]. Bogotá, Colombia: Editorial Tercer Mundo, 1981.
- El arte de Alfonsina Storni. [The Art of Alfonsina Storni] Bogotá, Colombia: Editorial Tercer Mundo, 1986.
- Green Mango Collage, winner of the North Carolina Writers’ Network’s Persephone Publication Award, Birch Brook Press, June 2000.
- Shafts, winner of the North Carolina Writers’ Network’s Harperprints/Jarrell Poetry Prize ,Harperprints, October 2002.
- Our Lives Are Rivers, University Press of Florida, 2002.
- Any Second Now, Main Street Rag Publishing Co., 2006
- Time Pieces, Main Street Rag Publishing Co., 2015
- Numerous articles, poems and translations in Thesaurus, Romance Quarterly, Hispanófila, Kenyon Review, Literary Review, Antioch Review and many other similar journals.
- Most recent publication: Waiting Room, winner of Red Mountain Review’s Chapbook 2008 Chapbook Publication Prize.
- Twelve short plays produced since 2002, including “Deal With This: Trio From the Holocaust Museum,” Theatre Orange of the Carrboro/Chapel Hill Arts Center, winner of “Ten by Ten Festival Competition.” Included in the anthology 35 in 10, Kent R. Brown, ed., Dramatic Publishing, 2005.