Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Spanish, Director of Undergraduate Studies in Spanish
Ph.D. Second Language Acquisition and Teaching, University of Arizona
M.A. Second Language Acquisition and Teaching, University of Arizona
M.A. Spanish, Middlebury College
B.A. Spanish, Colgate University
Research/ Teaching Interests
- Spanish Heritage Language Education
- Second Language Acquisition and Teaching
- Hispanic Sociolinguistics
- Languages in Contact
- Language Ideology and Identity
My research on Spanish heritage language (SHL) education focuses on the intersections of sociolinguistics, identity, ideology and language pedagogy.
My new book project examines the integration of service-learning in Spanish heritage language teaching and the ways community-engagement impacts heritage language learners and communities.
I enjoy teaching a variety of courses in Spanish, linguistics, second language acquisition, and heritage language education.
Recent Publications (peer reviewed)
- Pascual y Cabo, Diego, De la Rosa-Prada, Josh, and Lowther Pereira, Kelly. 2017. Effects of Community Service-Learning on Heritage Language Learners’ Attitudes toward their Language and Culture. Foreign Language Annals, 50(1), 71-83.
- Lowther Pereira, Kelly. 2016. New directions in heritage language pedagogy: Community service-learning for Spanish heritage speakers. In Advances in Spanish as a Heritage Language, ed. by Diego Pascual y Cabo, 237–258. Philadelphia/Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Lowther Pereira, Kelly. 2015. Developing critical language awareness via service-learning for Spanish heritage speakers. The Heritage Language Journal, 12(2), 159-185.
Keynote Presentations and Invited Workshops
- “Communities as resources: Service-learning for language learners.” Keynote Speaker in Linguistics at the XI Annual Samuel G. Armistead UC Davis Colloquium on Latin American and Peninsular Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, UC Davis, Davis, California, October 23, 2015.
- “Incorporating community engagement in the curriculum: Service-learning for Spanish heritage speakers.” Presentation and workshop at the Inaugural Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas, February 21-22, 2014.
Recent Scholarly Presentations (Peer-Reviewed)
- “Fostering social awareness through community service-learning for Spanish heritage speakers.” The 2016 Conference of the American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Orlando, Florida, April 9-12, 2016.
- “Communities and connections: Service-learning for Spanish heritage speakers.” The III Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language, The University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, February 18-20, 2016.
- “Spanish heritage language learner attitudes: The benefits of community service-learning.” with Diego Pascual y Cabo and Josh de la Rosa-Prada. The III Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language, The University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, February 18-20, 2016.
- “From awareness to advocacy: The impacts of service-learning on Spanish heritage language learners and communities.” The 2015 International Association for Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement (IARSLCE) Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, November 16-18, 2015.
- “Bridging sociolinguistics and pedagogy through service-learning for Spanish heritage language learners.” The 25th Conference on Spanish in the United States and 10th Conference on Spanish in Contact with Other Languages, City University of New York (CUNY), New York, NY, March 26-29, 2015.
- “Comunidad e identidad: Service-learning for the Spanish heritage language learner.” Second International Conference on Heritage/Community Languages, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, California, March 7-8, 2014.
- “Language and social justice: Developing linguistic and sociopolitical consciousness among Spanish heritage language learners via service-learning.” 2013 Conference of the International Society for Language Studies, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 13-15, 2013.
- “Miami Cubans and Piedmont Triad Mexicans: Language Attitudes and Heritage Language Maintenance” with Diego Pascual y Cabo (University of Florida). The 65th Annual Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, April 19-21, 2012.
- “Factors in heritage language maintenance and ethnolinguistic vitality among Cuban and Mexican communities in the southeastern U.S.” with Diego Pascual y Cabo (University of Florida). 6th International Workshop on Spanish Linguistics, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, April 12-14, 2012.
- “Designing for success: Using cloud-based project management and collaboration tools for student team projects” with Marcelo Dias Pereira (Wake Forest University). 2012 Lilly South Conference on College and University Teaching. Greensboro, North Carolina, February 10-12, 2012.
- “Who is a real Spanish speaker? The critical intersection of ideology and identity in language classroom practice.” 2011 Conference of the International Society for Language Studies. Oranjestad, Aruba, June 23-25, 2011.
- “Beneath the surface: Underlying language ideologies in a Spanish heritage program in the U.S. Southwest.” XXXIX Linguistic Association of the Southwest (LASSO) Conference. New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico, October 7-9, 2010.
- SPA 301 – Advanced Spanish
- SPA 302 – Advanced Spanish for Heritage Speakers (w/Service-Learning)
- SPA 315 – Intermediate Spanish Composition
- SPA 311 – Intermediate Spanish Conversation
- SPA 408 – Introduction to Spanish Linguistics
- SPA 415 – Advanced Spanish Composition
- ROM 519 – Second Language Acquisition (Undergraduate/Graduate)
- SPA 589C – Issues in Bilingualism (Undergraduate/Graduate)
- SPA 605 – Hispanic Sociolinguistics (Graduate Seminar)
- SPA 693 – Spanish as a Heritage Language in the U.S. (Graduate Seminar)
- LLC 599 – Community Service-Learning: Immigration, Language and Discrimination (w/Service-Learning) (Undergraduate/Graduate)
- SPA 497 – Directed Undergraduate Study in Spanish Heritage Language Pedagogy
- SPA 693 – Directed Graduate Study in Bilingualism
- SPA 695 – Directed Graduate Study in Spanish Linguistics
- SPA 695 – Directed Graduate Study in Second Language Acquisition