Ph.D., Associate Professor of Spanish, Lloyd International Honors College Liaison
Ph.D., Spanish, University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.A., Spanish, University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A., Spanish, Purdue University
Research/ Teaching Interests
- Modern Spanish American literature, especially narrative
- U.S. Latinx literature and culture
I believe in meeting students where they are and then challenging them to advance farther than they thought possible. I regularly teach literature and culture, but I hope that I’m also teaching the value of holding oneself accountable, thinking critically, taking risks and seeking out new opportunities, and demonstrating the tolerance and acceptance toward others that comes out of informed understanding.
Selected Professional Achievements
- Faculty Senate, UNCG, Fall 2019-present
- Disciplinary Honors Liaison (French, German, & Spanish) to the Lloyd International Honors College, UNCG, Fall 2017-present
- Associate Dean, The Graduate School, UNCG, July 2010-Feb. 2017
- Past President and current Executive Board member, Epsilon Chapter (UNCG) of Phi Beta Kappa
- Petersen, James C., Laura Chesak, Rebecca B. Saunders, & William Wiener. “The Central Role of the Director of Graduate Studies: Ten Years of Data from a Mid-Sized Public University.” Council of Graduate Schools, Occasional Paper Series, No. 5, Feb. 2017.
- “Preparing Future Faculty to Assess Student Learning.” Investigators: William Wiener (Dean, The Graduate School, UNCG), Laura Chesak, Sanjiv Sarin (Dean, The Graduate School, NC A&T SU), Ayanna Boyd-Williams (Asst. Dean, The Graduate School, NC A&T SU). Council of Graduate Schools, 2012. ($50,000)
- Suárez, Juana. Critical Essays on Colombian Cinema and Culture: Cinembargo Colombia. Trans. Laura Chesak. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- BRIDGES XII: Academic Leadership for Women, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2004; BRIDGES Advisory Board member, 2008-2011